Half Square Triangles are the quilt blocks I make most frequently. Almost every quilt I make a few. Just a few ;) When I teach, I often find many people have not heard of this ruler for squaring up half square triangles. This is my MOST used specialty ruler - the Quilt-in-a-Day Half Square Triangle Ruler - so I thought I'd share how to use it. Once you see this method of squaring up, you'll never look back.
Square Up Half Square Triangles (HSTs)
- Here we start with your HSTs sewn and cut apart. DO NOT press them open.
This ruler comes in 2 sizes. A 6 1/2" ruler and 9 1/2" ruler. I have both sizes. The diagonal lines on the rulers are marked with the square up sizes or unfinished size. The major inch and 1/2 inch increments have lines across the ruler. If you need to square up to an odd size, there are notches along the whole inch lines in 1/8".
- Determine the UNFINISHED size you need to square the block up to. For the example, I am squaring the HST up to 3 1/2" unfinished (3" finished).
- Find the line on the ruler for your unfinished size (3 1/2").
- Place the unfinished cut line (3 1/2") directly ON TOP of the stitching.
- Use a rotary cutter to trim the excess fabric on both sides of the Half Square Triangle.
The beauty of this tool is that you can simultaneously trim all 4 sides of the block and only have to place your ruler once!
- Now you can finally press the HST open and trim the dog ears.
- The Half Square Triangle is done! This tool makes quick work of squaring up lots of HSTs.
HALF SQUARE TRIANGLE RESOURCES
- How To Make Half Square Triangles TWO At A Time
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: How To Make Half Square Triangles Two At A Time
- How To Make Half Square Triangles EIGHT At A Time
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: How To Make Half Square Triangles EIGHT At A Time
- How To Square Up Half Square Triangles Using the Quilt-in-A-Day HST Ruler (this post)
- Free Printable Half Square Triangle Cutting Chart (when you sign up for my Newsletter)
AMC HST Patterns
Ready to get sewing? START HERE
AnneMarie Chany is an author and pattern designer who teeters on both sides of the modern and traditional quilting line. She loves using bright colors and solid fabrics while nodding to traditional blocks. On the website, you'll find many resources to inspire and get you sewing right away like free quilt patterns, the Quilt Block Library with links to 350+ free quilt block tutorials, Block of the Month Clubs, and the Quilt Pattern Shop with clear detailed instructions to make your quilting easy and fun.
"all I need is fabric and coffee. and maybe chocolate too. yeah, definitely chocolate. let's create!"