Wild horses couldn’t keep me away.. After a break from BOMs in 2018, I’m back baby! And I am so excited to bring you Conversation, my newest ROM program! ROM translates to Row of the Month, which you can easily see looking at the yummy photo above. Turn that classic popular candy heart into a delightful sampler. There are SO many ways to color this quilt - I’m excited to see what you all come up with.
Conversation Block of the Month Club QUILT ALONG (starts January 2019)
Enjoy piecing this quilt in rows. We will start at the bottom at the point and work our way up to put together a colorful and playful advanced beginner quilt. I will be hosting a quilt-along for the Conversation Row of the Month Club. I’ll be sharing my blocks here on the blog, but the real fun will be sharing YOUR blocks on Instagram and Facebook. It is so much fun to see others sewing along and join in part of the quilting community. I am bringing you this pattern in print (hard-copy) and PDF. So you can choose whatever you prefer to participate.
KALEIDOSCOPE FABRIC I am excited to show you this pattern in these beautiful Kaleidoscope Wovens by Alison Glass for Andover. They are delicious and I am shocked at how soft they remain after I had my Conversation sample densely quilted by Katie. So cool. You know AG fabrics were MADE for quilts like this! If you like this version of Conversation, the pattern lists the suggested Kaleidoscope SKUs for you to use. Or fill up your candy heart with your own favorite fabrics using the Conversation Sampler Coloring Sheet that comes with a pattern purchase.
Here are all the details for the Conversation Sampler Row of the Month Club, starting in January 2019. I hope you'll join me!
PDF SUBSCRIPTION: An annual subscription for the ROM is available here for $24. That’s a ONE time fee. All patterns are PDF downloads, automatically emailed to you each month on the 1st of the month. PDF Patterns will be delivered via the Conversation Sampler Newsletter. When you subscribe, a Conversation Introduction PDF (Fabric Requirements, Fabric Label Chart, Coloring Sheet, Coloring Ideas) is emailed right away.
PAPER PATTERN SUBSCRIPTION: A Conversation 8 1/2” x 11” Book(let) is available here for $24. All patterns are printed in the book and the book is mailed upon purchase. When you join the ROM with a Paper Pattern Subscription, you will be enrolled in the Conversation Sampler Newsletter to keep you on pace with the group. When you subscribe, a Conversation Introduction PDF (Fabric Requirements, Fabric Label Chart, Coloring Sheet, Coloring Ideas) will be emailed to you. This will confirm your enrollment in the Conversation Sampler Newsletter and gives you information to get started with fabric choices.
The Conversation Blocks. The blocks selected for this Row of the Month are intended to be basic since there are several blocks to assemble each month. Participants will make anywhere from 4 - 12 blocks per month, working in rows. The ROM uses traditional piecing techniques, with one appliqué row (orange peels).
Finished Block Size: 6” x 6” | Finished Quilt Size: 76” x 76”
Frequently Asked Questions.
1. When are the new block patterns released?
Each month in 2019, a new block pattern will release on the first of the month for PDF subscribers. Print patterns are mail all at once in a book(let).
The Conversation BOM will contain:
An Introduction - all important information, fabric requirements, fabric label chart, coloring sheet, coloring ideas (only available in PDF)
12 ROW PATTERNS: includes 12 BLOCK Patterns and 8 HALF BLOCK PATTERNS over 12 months
Instructions for Assembling the Quilt Top
2. How long does the BOM run?
This BOM will run for 12 months.
3. How many blocks will I make each month? Participants will make anywhere from 4 - 12 blocks per month, working in rows. The pattern is an advanced beginner pattern, but I’m not gonna lie, you will be making A LOT of blocks. The piecing skills required are advanced beginner, but it is still quite a bit of work. SO worth it!
4. What size is the finished quilt? 76" x 76"
5. What size are the blocks? 6"x 6" finished / 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" unfinished.
6. What skill level is Conversation? Conversation ROM is an Advanced Beginner level quilt pattern. The blocks selected for this Row of the Month are intended to be basic since there are so many blocks to assemble each month. Participants will make anywhere from 4 - 12 blocks per month, working in rows. The ROM uses traditional piecing techniques, with one appliqué row (orange peels). We build these skills: mastering block basics like half-square triangles, stitch-n-flip corners, diamond-in-the-square, raw-edge applique, flying geese, and quarter-square triangle/hourglass blocks. NO paper piecing, curves or y-seams.
7. What are the fabric requirements?
Fabric Requirements for Conversation (fabric in sample is Kaleidoscope Wovens by Alison Glass for Andover Fabrics): SKUs listed on pattern
3 1/2 yards White background
2 yards Color Background (Denim Yarn Dye in sample)
1/2 yard each Coral, Berry, Red, Orange, Lime, Green, Aqua, Marine, Navy, Plum
1/3 yard each Blue, Fuchsia, Lavender
1/4 yard Lime
4 2/3 yards Backing
84" x 84" Batting
5/8 yard Binding
8. Will there be kits for Conversation? Will there be a Row of the Month Club I can join that will mail me fabric monthly? Absolutely! KITS: Available at Stash Fabrics. ROM: AND there will be a shop ROM program available for you to join if you would like monthly fabric mailings to quilt along with us. Stay tuned.
9. I like the Conversation blocks, but prefer a more traditional setting. Can I still join? Absolutely! You are more than welcome to join the ROM. If you prefer, you may make 12 blocks of each row and set the blocks in a more traditional manner. However, I will only be giving fabric requirements/ finishing instructions for the layout above.
10. It's already halfway through the year. Can I still join? No problem! Block/Row of the Month Clubs online are great because you can really work at your own pace. No one is going to prevent you from skipping a block because you don't like it or working at your own pace. All patterns to date will be sent to you upon purchasing a subscription.
To me, quilting is fun and about interpretation. I am providing you with the patterns as a guide. Feel free to adapt them to your liking. After all, YOU are the person who will keep the quilt or gift it to a loved one.
11. Is there a group or hashtag for this BOM? Please use #conversationsampler and #annemariechany to share your work within Facebook and Instagram.
What do you think? Sound like fun? I hope you'll join me in making Conversation! I am planning a new version of Conversation to make along with all of you. I'll share that with you soon.
The first block instructions will be available on January 1, 2019.
12. Who quilted your Conversation Sampler? Katie is the mega-talented long arm quilter who did wonders on this quilt for me. She is amazing!
If you have any questions, please leave me a comment. I will try to address all getting started questions here in this post for all to read.
Ready to get sewing? START HERE
AnneMarie Chany is an author and pattern designer who teeters on both sides of the modern and traditional quilting line. She loves using bright colors and solid fabrics while nodding to traditional blocks. On the website, you'll find many resources to inspire and get you sewing right away like free quilt patterns, the Quilt Block Library with links to 350+ free quilt block tutorials, Block of the Month Clubs, and the Quilt Pattern Shop with clear detailed instructions to make your quilting easy and fun.
"all I need is fabric and coffee. and maybe chocolate too. yeah, definitely chocolate. let's create!"