Half Square Triangles are the end-all and be-all in my book. I cannot live without them. Making Half Square Triangles can sometimes be daunting if you don't know the shortcut. Make 8 at a Time using this quick method! It's so easy.
This written tutorial coordinates with this video tutorial. I'm a visual learner folks. That's me ;) May you make your HSTs in bulk!
Half Square Triangles (HSTs) 8 At A Time
- Cut 2 squares the same size (See HST Resources Section below for Cutting Guide)
- Draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of the fabric across BOTH diagonals of one square
- Layer the square with the drawn lines atop the second square with right sides together
- Sew pair together, stitching 1/4" away of each side of the two drawn lines
- Cut the pair apart carefully horizontally and vertically through the center of the block
- Cut again along the drawn lines to make 8 Half Square Triangle (HST) units
- Press Half Square Triangles open and trim dog ears (little extra fabric bits in the photo)
- Depending on your pattern, you may need to square up your Half Square Triangles before you use them in your quilt.
HALF SQUARE TRIANGLE RESOURCES
- How To Make Half Square Triangles TWO At A Time
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: How To Make Half Square Triangles Two At A Time
- How To Make Half Square Triangles EIGHT At A Time (this post)
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: How To Make Half Square Triangles EIGHT At A Time
- How To Square Up Half Square Triangles Using the Quilt-in-A-Day HST Ruler
- Free Printable Half Square Triangle Cutting Chart (when you sign up for my Newsletter)
AMC HST Patterns
Ready to get sewing? START HERE
AnneMarie Chany is an author and pattern designer who teeters on both sides of the modern and traditional quilting line. She loves using bright colors and solid fabrics while nodding to traditional blocks. On the website, you'll find many resources to inspire and get you sewing right away like free quilt patterns, the Quilt Block Library with links to 350+ free quilt block tutorials, Block of the Month Clubs, and the Quilt Pattern Shop with clear detailed instructions to make your quilting easy and fun.
"all I need is fabric and coffee. and maybe chocolate too. yeah, definitely chocolate. let's create!"